Gluten-Free and Vegan Sticky Toffee Pudding
Who doesn’t love sticky toffee pudding, its toffee, soft and gooey goodness? The best thing about this dessert is it’s so simple to make, with household ingredients and made in just one bowl. What’s not to love?
I’m going to share with you some enticing details of our sticky toffee puddings but please heed this warning: you won’t be able to resist. This pudding is moist and gooey in the middle because of the toffee sauce – almost like a lava cake! It is fluffy, sweet, and rich, with an indulgent toffee flavour. It includes pitted dates to create the yummy toffee goodness.
Sticky toffee pudding is perfect for any occasion but I do love it on colder days, it’s a warm, wholesome pudding dripping with warm toffee sauce, just the vegan and gluten-free dessert you have been craving.
Why we LOVE this GF & V Sticky Toffee Pudding:
- It’s vegan, dairy-free, and gluten-free!
- You can make it in one bowl
- Moist, warm, and gooey
- Easy to make and a real crowd-pleaser
What to serve with Sticky Toffee Pudding
You can serve with custard, ice cream, or cream. Personally, I love hot and cold puddings. The warm gooey toffee sponge and sauce with a cold scoop of ice cream is just the best combo.
If you are looking for a vegan and gluten-free custard option, The Coconut Collaborative has a yummy vanilla custard that is suitable for both. Even better, it is creamy, thick, and actually tastes like custard! A true custard winner!
As for the cream, try the Elmlea Plant-based double cream. This cream is approved by our friends at The Vegan Society Trademark and we use it for most of our vegan desserts! It works as a treat for whipping or just as a pouring cream.
You can search for other cream and ice cream options on the LiberEat app based on the ingredients you avoid. Using the app, you can search or scan different products before you go out to buy or even in the supermarket on your smartphone, just use our product scanner or search function to find products that are suitable for your dietary requirements.
Vegan Ice cream
The Vegan Society Trademark approved Booja-Booja ice cream is vegan and made with only 5 ingredients. They have a large variety of flavours and the vanilla works amazing with the warm Sticky Toffee.
This sticky toffee pudding recipe is vegan, dairy-free, lactose-free, nut-free, and gluten-free and tastes beautiful. You can’t fault it. I think this is one of my favourite dessert recipes I have made so far. I think my family would also have to agree with me.
- I recommend using small oven-safe pudding moulds instead of ceramic ramekins. The moulds create more shape to the pudding and it also helps the pudding come out of the mould easier.
- Don’t overbake the puddings, they will continue to bake whilst out of the oven and cooling. You want to guarantee that they will be moist so once the skewer comes out mostly clean remove it from the oven.
The best gluten-free and vegan sticky toffee pudding recipe
Gluten-Free and Vegan Sticky Toffee Pudding
For the cake:
- 130 g pitted dates
- 6 tbsp water
- 250 ml plant-based milk we used oat milk
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 65 g brown sugar
- 65 g vegan butter
- 160 g gluten-free self-raising flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
For the sauce:
- 40 g golden syrup
- 150 g brown sugar
- 85 g vegan butter
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Grease 6 pudding moulds with coconut oil.
- Add the dates, water and milk to a large saucepan and simmer on a medium heat, until the dates have softened. Remove from the heat, add baking soda and mix, let cool.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together the brown sugar and vegan butter until smooth and creamy. Slowly add in the date mixture and mix until combined.
- Sieve the flour and cinnamon and mix. Transfer into the moulds equally.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until cooked and a skewer comes out clean.
- Whilst in the oven, prepare the sauce by adding syrup, sugar and butter into a saucepan to heat, simmer for 5 minutes.
- Poke a couple holes on top of each pudding and pour in a little sauce, this will soak the inside of the pudding. Flip the puddings onto plates and cover with sauce and a nice scoop of ice cream.
If you liked this Vegan & Gluten-Free Sticky Toffee Pudding recipe, then you might love more of our recipes, make sure to check out the 350+ recipes including more of our vegan or gluten-free recipes on the LiberEat app. Including many recipes from The Vegan Society!
Some of our other gluten-free and vegan recipes: